- Due to a tremendous demand both from the public institutions within India, and the private domestic and international insurance market the NCAER is set to develop this important area of research. I am working closely involved in building up this stream of research.
Health Care Reform Needs in the context of National 10th Plan
- The study commissioned by the Planning Commission and the Ministry of Health and Family Welfare is undertaken in 8 major states of India. This is a comprehensive evaluation of the need for reforms in India’s public health care in the areas of – workforce management, training needs and infrastructure rationalizations. Besides the efficacy of the introduction of user charges in a number of states at the secondary and tertiary level is also being studied.
International Workshop on `Gender, Population and Health', December 1995
- The proceedings of which I am one of the editors have been published by the Oxford University Press, New Delhi, January, 1998.
`Morbidity Profile for India'
An empirical study which presents the morbidity rates, health care utilization and health expenditures for India and major states. September 1995. (Being published in a volume edited by Praveen Visaria and A. Vaidyanathan)
`Maternal Education and Child Health in Gujarat State, India'
- A research funded by the Ford Foundation, 1989-1993. This research documents the cultural practices regulating dietetics, maternal and child nutrition. Key findings are found in GIDR Working Paper No 47. June 1993.
`Measurement of Inputs and the Impact of the FPP and Maternal and Child Health Program in Gujarat, India'
- A research funded by the Rockefeller Foundation, 1990-2. A report co-authored with Praveen Visaria is published by the GIDR, Ahmedabad, and also available with the Rockefeller foundation, New York, November 1991.
`Problems of Breast Feeding Among Gainfully Employed Women in Organized Sector', 1986-87
- A research funded by Indian Council of Medical Research, New Delhi and key findings are found in GIDR Working paper No. 27. June 1989.
`Evaluation of FPP and Maternal and Child Health Program in Coorg District - 1986-87'
- A research sponsored by the Ministry of Health, Government of India. A report available from the sponsor and the Institute for Social and Economic Change, Bangalore. June 1988.
`Causes and Mechanisms of Fertility Decline in Karnataka', 1980-85
- A research fellowship awarded by the Australian National University. This research is published as a book entitled Fertility Transition in South India, New Delhi: Gyan Publishers, 1989.